What To Expect When You Arrive
- Parking at the Seattle Main
- Seattle Main Campus Map and
- After checking in, you will be directed to the
surgery preparation area where a nurse will meet with you and review your
chart, take your blood pressure and your heart rate.
- You will change into a hospital gown. Your clothes will be labeled and
stored in individual garment bags during your operation.
- Your anesthesiologist will meet with you and review your chart and
anesthetic plan. Your anesthesiologist will probably not be the same doctor
you met in the Pre-operative Clinic.
- An intravenous infusion (IV) line will be started. This is a plastic
catheter that will be inserted in a vein in your hand or arm. The catheter
will be used to give you fluids and medications before, during and after your
- Depending on the type of anesthesia chosen you will either be given a regional block, local anesthesia, general anesthesia or a combination. Regardless of the type of anesthesia, your anesthesiologist will monitor and control your response to anesthetic drugs and your operation. He or she will manage your overall medical condition during and immediately after your operation.