Search Virginia Mason News
Virginia Mason's 90th Anniversary
From 1918 to 1919, the organization that would eventually become Virginia Mason Medical Center was formed when a group of physicians decided to pioneer a new approach to the practice of medicine. They pledged to provide the finest patient care possible by working together as a single team, asking only the best and brightest to join their team and committing themselves to lifelong learning and research. This was a highly unusual approach in an era when the individual in solo practice was the established norm. The original partners were Drs. James Tate Mason, John Blackford, George Dowling, J.T. Dowling, Maurice Dwyer and Pius Rohrer. The group also decided to establish a hospital so they could provide comprehensive medical care to their patients.