Better Sleep, Better Health
Want to know something that every professional athlete focuses on, no matter what sport they play? It's sleep!
Good sleep is an important part of overall health. Yet many people don't get enough sleep or have trouble falling asleep. Here are some tips for better sleep:
- Be consistent. Have a set wake-up time regardless of when you fall asleep.
- Listen to your body. Don't go to bed before you're sleepy and don't stay up to finish reading a book or watching a show.
- Relax before bedtime. Yoga, stretching, breathing exercises or a hot bath can clear your mind and prepare you for sleep.
- Put away your phone and other devices! Their light can stimulate the brain and make falling asleep more difficult.
- Exercise early. A relaxed body is more likely to fall asleep, so try to get your exercise in the morning or early afternoon.
- Talk with your doctor. Instead of taking over the counter sedatives, consult your doctor if you have trouble sleeping.
When you don't snooze … you lose. So, make sleep a priority and you'll soon find yourself feeling happier, healthier and more energetic.
Learn more about the importance of sleep.