Treating Breast Cancer
Virginia Mason is one of the leading breast cancer care centers in Washington state, and we understand that a cancer diagnosis is a life-altering event for patients and their loved ones. That’s why our team provides comprehensive care from diagnosis to recovery.
Patients first connect with a nurse navigator, who helps manage appointments and answer questions about breast cancer treatment and accessing the medical center. If you have recently received a breast cancer diagnosis, our breast cancer care coordinators can provide immediate guidance when patients call (206) 223-6633.
Then we match patients with the best available breast cancer treatments. Including:
- The latest surgical techniques, which can eliminate cancer in the least invasive, most effective way possible
- Radiation therapy, which kills cancer cells with targeted, high-energy radiation
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT), a new form of radiation therapy delivered in a single dose during surgery
- Chemotherapy is used to destroy fast growing cancer cells. A patient's chemotherapy treatment plan is individualized to factor in the number of nodes involved, tumor size and grade, hormone receptor status and the presence of a “bad” gene such as c-erB2 or HER-2 neu, etc. When used prior to surgery, chemotherapy treatments are known as neoadjuvant therapies.
- Clinical trials that give patients access to the latest, most innovative therapies.