Tips for Applicants
- Applying to Virginia Mason
- Interviewing at Virginia Mason: Virginia Mason's Department of Anesthesiology has interview dates starting in late October through mid-January. Throughout the interview process, applicants have plenty of opportunities to meet and get to know the residents in the operating room, and during the interview dinner at a nearby restaurant in the vibrant Capitol Hill neighborhood. Applicants will also interact and interview with program leadership and faculty.
Virginia Mason is located in the heart of downtown Seattle with numerous hotels within walking distance of the hospital. There is a discount available for interviewees at the Inn at Virginia Mason, which is immediately adjacent to the medical center. Virginia Mason is a 10 minute walk from the Link light rail University Street Station, and has plenty of access to multiple bus routes. Uber and Lyft are a great option for transportation around Seattle. There are many restaurants, bars, breweries and coffee shops within blocks of the hospital. If you have a little extra time to spend in Seattle, check out our residents’ Top Picks for dining and activity options.
- Matching at Virginia Mason: There are four categorical positions in which the PGY-1 year is spent as a Transitional Year resident at Virginia Mason. There are five advanced positions starting the PGY-2 year. To maximize the chances of matching at Virginia Mason, as well as a PGY-1 year in Seattle, we recommend applying to and ranking the following programs:
- Virginia Mason Transitional Year
- Virginia Mason Preliminary Medicine
- Virginia Mason Preliminary Surgery
- University of Washington Preliminary Surgery
Your interview with the anesthesiology program also counts as an interview for all Virginia Mason PGY-1 programs. You will have a chance to meet the Transitional Year Program Director, Ryan Pong, MD. We have a collaborative relationship with the University of Washington Preliminary Surgery program, which typically conducts video interviews.
- 4th Year Medical Student Advanced Clerkship: There are a limited number of spots available for 4th year advanced clerkships in the Anesthesiology Department. In general, we do not offer rotations in anesthesiology for 3rd year medical students. Clerkships are four weeks long and are available from August through October. Virginia Mason does not use VSAS, but information about applying for a 4th year clerkship can be found here.