Search Virginia Mason News
Stroke Center Receives Award from American Stroke Association
Virginia Mason's Stroke Center received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Gold (Sustained) Performance Achievement Award for the third year in a row. This award recognizes hospitals that demonstrate at least 85-percent compliance in each of the seven core Get With The Guidelines (GWTG)-Stroke measures for 24 consecutive months or more.
The core measures for GWTG-Stroke are:
1. Acute ischemic stroke patients who arrive at the Emergency Department within two hours of onset of stroke symptoms and receive intravenous tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) within three hours of onset of stroke symptoms
2. Ischemic stroke/Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) patients who receive antithrombotic medication within 48 hours of hospitalization
3. Ischemic stroke/TIA patients discharged on antithrombotics
4. Ischemic stroke/TIA patients with atrial fibrillation (a.fib) who are discharged on anticoagulation therapy unless contraindicated
5. Patients at risk for deep vein thrombosis (DVT) who receive DVT prophylaxis by second hospital day
6. Ischemic stroke/TIA patients with low density lipoprotein (LDL) greater than or equal to 100 mg/dl OR on cholesterol reducer prior to admission who are discharged on cholesterol-reducing drugs
7. Smokers who receive smoking cessation advice or medication at discharge
Learn more about stroke prevention and treatment from the Stroke Center at Virginia Mason.
If you would like to evaluate your risk for stroke, take our online health risk assessment.