Contrast Reaction Simulation
- Quarterly workshop supervised by an abdominal imaging or IR attending
- Residents identify contents of "contrast reaction box," review all equipment, and participate in managing various contrast reaction scenarios such as anaphylaxis, vasovagal reaction, bronchospasm, etc.
MR Guided Breast Biopsy Workshop
- Yearly, half-day workshop supervised by our breast imaging attending, Peter Eby, MD
- Residents are guided through the steps of setting up and performing MR guided breast biopsies (using a grapefruit as a phantom). Residents then take turns targeting lesions and performing vacuum-assisted biopsy of the phantom using standard software and equipment.
Ultrasound Guided Breast Biopsy Workshop
- Once-a-year workshop supervised by breast imaging attendings
- Residents review all the steps of properly visualizing and setting up for ultrasound-guided biopsy. Subsequently, residents take turns performing targeted biopsy of various inclusions at various depths using ballistic gel phantoms or store-bought turkey breast.
Ultrasound Hands-on Workshop with Pelvic Phantom
- Once-a-year workshop supervised by ultrasound attendings
- Residents learn how to handle a transvaginal probe in order to properly evaluate and document images of the uterus and adnexa
Call Prep Simulation
- Full day of advanced call prep simulation using WIDI SIM software designed by University of Florida to mimic case selection and cadence of a typical call shift
- Buddy call shifts at the end of PGY-2 year where junior residents are encouraged to act independently with background supervision from senior residents
Future / In Planning Phase:
- Guided simulation to improve communications skills during difficult conversations including:
- Disclosure of adverse events
- "Breaking bad news" after a critical outcome
- Ultrasound Hands-on Workshop with Ballistic Gel Phantoms
- Gel phantoms are used to demonstrate physics principles and artifacts in ultrasound
- Inclusions are targeted to practice needle guidance, a skill that is beneficial in various procedures such as thyroid fine needle aspirations, cyst aspirations and soft tissue biopsies.