Residency Application Frequently Asked Questions
- What is your application deadline?
- When are your interviews?
- What are your resident salary and benefits?
- Are United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) exam scores mandatory?
- Do you accept Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) scores instead of USMLE scores?
- Do you offer preliminary or transitional positions?
- Do you hire outside of the National Resident Matching Program (NMRP) match?
- Do you offer visiting medical student rotations?
- Is there a minimum USMLE score applicants need to have in order to apply?
- Is U.S. clinical experience required for international graduates?
- How long can I be out of medical school and still apply for your program?
- Are there any special requirements for international medical grads (IMGs)?
- Do you participate in the couples match?
- Is there transit from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to downtown?
1. What is your application deadline?
We begin accepting applications Sept. 1, 2014. The application deadline is Nov. 1, 2014. Applications for PGY-1 positions are only accepted via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
2. When are your interviews?
Find residency interview information here.
4. Are United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) exam scores mandatory?
U.S. medical school applicants must pass step 1 and be scheduled to take step 2 prior to graduation. Non-U.S. medical school applicants must pass steps 1 and 2 in order to be Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certified.
8. Do you offer visiting medical student rotations?
We have limited room for learners; therefore we only allow medical students enrolled in U.S., Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredited institutions to apply for visiting rotations. Find more information here.
9. Is there a minimum USMLE score applicants need to have in order to apply?
We do not have a minimum score requirement, but a competitive score will increase the strength of your application. Applicants who have failed any attempts at the USMLE step I and/or II will most likely be removed from further consideration.
10. Is U.S. clinical experience required for international graduates?
We require one year of clinical experience (as a physician or physician in training) in the U.S. or equivalent health-care system. We do not count observerships, externships or research as clinical experience.
12. Are there any special requirements for international medical grads (IMGs)?
Graduates of international medical schools applying for internships or residencies, must submit the required application documents and must have applied for, or hold a valid certificate from the ECFMG to be considered for an interview.
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must meet the current requirements for an appropriate U.S visa* as specified by the United States government.
* Virginia Mason Residency Programs consider J1 Visa or permanent resident only - NO EXCEPTIONS.
A minimum of one year previous U.S. clinical, hands-on patient care experience is required prior to application. Externships, observerships and research do not meet this requirement.
14. Is there transit from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to downtown?
Yes. There are several ground transportation options for traveling between the Sea-Tac Airport and downtown Seattle.