Recognized for Quality
Virginia Mason has received numerous awards and much recognition for our efforts to improve patient safety and quality of care. Below are recent highlights.
- Virginia Mason was recognized as one of the best hospitals in the Puget Sound region by U.S. News & World Report. This was the ninth straight year Virginia Mason received the regional Best Hospital designation from U.S. News.
- Virginia Mason received Healthgrades’ 2018 Outstanding Patient Experience Award. This distinction places the medical center among the top 15 percent of hospitals nationwide for a sixth year in a row (2013-2018).
- Virginia Mason has received the 2017 Donation Excellence Award from LifeCenter Northwest, the regional organ procurement organization. The Donation Excellence Award is presented to one hospital in LifeCenter Northwest’s four-state service area that has demonstrated impressive organ donation outcomes, strong and effective processes, and unwavering dedication to improving the lives of donor families and transplant recipients.
- Virginia Mason receives an “A” in the spring 2018 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, maintaining the distinction as the only hospital in Washington state to receive an “A” in every grading cycle since the program began in 2012. The grades are issued every spring and fall.
- Virginia Mason is a 2018 Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality after receiving a perfect score in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Healthcare Equality Index.
- Virginia Mason receives Healthgrades’ 50 Best Hospitals Award for the second consecutive year. If all hospitals in the United States had performed at the level of Virginia Mason and the other award recipients during the two-year study period, an estimated 179,464 lives could potentially have been saved.
- For the eighth consecutive year, Virginia Mason earns the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades, placing the medical center in the top 5 percent of the nearly 4,500 U.S. hospitals evaluated on clinical performance.
- For the 12th consecutive year, The Leapfrog Group named Virginia Mason a Top Hospital based on its evaluation of quality and safety for about 1,900 medical centers across the nation.
- Virginia Mason receives an A for the 12th consecutive time in The Leapfrog Group’s Hospital Safety Grade program and is the only medical center in Washington state to achieve straight-A status.
- Virginia Mason is recognized by Healthgrades as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for cardiac care, coronary intervention, pulmonary care, general surgery, gastrointestinal care and critical care.
- Virginia Mason is ranked as one of the top hospitals in the region and the state for 2017-18 by the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals program. This is the eighth consecutive year Virginia Mason has been in the Best Hospitals spotlight.
- Virginia Mason received the 2017 Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades, a distinction the medical center has earned for five consecutive years (2013-2017).
- Virginia Mason received the America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award from Healthgrades, a leading online consumer resource for comprehensive information about hospitals and physicians.
- Virginia Mason received the 2017 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ from Healthgrades, an online resource for comprehensive information about hospitals and physicians across the United States.
- For the 11th consecutive year, The Leapfrog Group named Virginia Mason a Top Hospital based on its evaluation of quality and safety at medical centers across the nation.
- Virginia Mason has been named one of the 50 Greenest Hospitals in America for the third time since 2013 by Becker’s Hospital Review, a national health care publication.
- Virginia Mason received the 2016 Washington Award of Excellence in Healthcare Quality for its work in improving care for patients hospitalized for heart attack, also known as myocardial infarction.
- Virginia Mason Earns ‘A’ for Patient Safety in National Hospital Safety Score Program. The safety grades are updated by Leapfrog twice a year, and Virginia Mason has received an “A” all nine times since the program began in 2012. Virginia Mason is the only Seattle hospital to accomplish this.
- Virginia Mason receives the Institutional Leadership in Quality Award from the American College of Medical Quality.
- Virginia Mason receives the 2016 Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades, becoming the only medical center in Seattle and the Puget Sound area to earn the recognition for four consecutive years.
- Virginia Mason receives the 2016 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ from Healthgrades, making this the third consecutive year it has earned this recognition for clinical quality.
- Virginia Mason receives the 2016 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ from Healthgrades. It is the only hospital in Washington state to receive the award six consecutive years (2011-2016).