Recognized for Quality
Virginia Mason has received numerous awards and much recognition for our efforts to improve patient safety and quality of care. Below are recent highlights.
- Virginia Mason receives another “A” for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group.
- For the seventh consecutive year, Virginia Mason receives the Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades.
- Virginia Mason is ranked No. 44 among 226 hospitals in the United States included on the 2019 list of the World’s Best Hospitals compiled by Newsweek.com.
- Virginia Mason received the 2019 Seattle Business magazine Leaders in Health Care: Washington Health Alliance Community Checkup Award. The award was presented to medical centers that consistently rank in the top five of the annual Community Checkup Report.
- At the 11th annual Seattle Business magazine Leaders in Health Care Awards, three Virginia Mason executives were honored: Gary S. Kaplan, MD, Chairman and CEO, Virginia Mason, received the Lifetime Achievement Award; Brian Knowles, Executive Director, Bailey-Boushay House, received Outstanding Medical Center or Hospital Executive, Puget Sound; and Russ Myers, CEO, Virginia Mason Memorial, received Outstanding Medical Center or Hospital Executive, Outside Puget Sound.
- Virginia Mason received the 2019 America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award from Healthgrades, making this the third straight year the medical center has earned this prestigious recognition for clinical excellence.
- Virginia Mason became the first medical center in the Pacific Northwest to earn designation as a Donor Care Network Center of Excellence by the National Kidney Registry.
- Virginia Mason is named a 2018 Top Hospital by The Leapfrog Group, designating it as a national leader in quality and safety for the 13th consecutive year.
- Virginia Mason receives its 14th straight “A” in The Leapfrog Group's Hospital Safety Grade program and is one of only 42 hospitals in the nation to have received the highest grade possible since the program began in the spring of 2012.
- Virginia Mason receives the 2018 Most Wired award for its use of information technology to support and improve the delivery of care.
- Virginia Mason is designated as one of America's 100 Best Hospitals for cardiac care, coronary intervention, gastrointestinal care and general surgery by Healthgrades.
- Virginia Mason was recognized as one of the best hospitals in the Puget Sound region by U.S. News & World Report. This was the ninth straight year Virginia Mason received the regional Best Hospital designation from U.S. News.
- Virginia Mason received Healthgrades' 2018 Outstanding Patient Experience Award. This distinction places the medical center among the top 15 percent of hospitals nationwide for a sixth year in a row (2013-2018).
- Virginia Mason has received the 2017 Donation Excellence Award from LifeCenter Northwest, the regional organ procurement organization. The Donation Excellence Award is presented to one hospital in LifeCenter Northwest's four-state service area that has demonstrated impressive organ donation outcomes, strong and effective processes, and unwavering dedication to improving the lives of donor families and transplant recipients.
- Virginia Mason receives an “A” in the spring 2018 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, maintaining the distinction as the only hospital in Washington state to receive an “A” in every grading cycle since the program began in 2012. The grades are issued every spring and fall.
- Virginia Mason is a 2018 Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality after receiving a perfect score in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Healthcare Equality Index.
- Virginia Mason receives Healthgrades’ 50 Best Hospitals Award for the second consecutive year. If all hospitals in the United States had performed at the level of Virginia Mason and the other award recipients during the two-year study period, an estimated 179,464 lives could potentially have been saved.
- For the eighth consecutive year, Virginia Mason earns the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades, placing the medical center in the top five percent of the nearly 4,500 U.S. hospitals evaluated on clinical performance.
- For the 12th consecutive year, The Leapfrog Group named Virginia Mason a Top Hospital based on its evaluation of quality and safety for about 1,900 medical centers across the nation.
- Virginia Mason receives an A for the 12th consecutive time in The Leapfrog Group's Hospital Safety Grade program and is the only medical center in Washington state to achieve straight-A status.
- Virginia Mason is recognized by Healthgrades as one of America's 100 Best Hospitals for cardiac care, coronary intervention, pulmonary care, general surgery, gastrointestinal care and critical care.
- Virginia Mason is ranked as one of the top hospitals in the region and the state for 2017-18 by the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals program. This is the eighth consecutive year Virginia Mason has been in the Best Hospitals spotlight.
- Virginia Mason received the 2017 Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades, a distinction the medical center has earned for five consecutive years (2013-2017).
- Virginia Mason received the America's 50 Best Hospitals Award from Healthgrades, a leading online consumer resource for comprehensive information about hospitals and physicians.
- Virginia Mason received the 2017 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ from Healthgrades, an online resource for comprehensive information about hospitals and physicians across the United States.