Neuroscience Institute Research
The Neuroscience Institute multidisciplinary research team includes neurologists, physiatrists, neurosurgeons, analysts, visiting scholars and fellows, working together to discover new information that can be used to improve patient outcomes:
- Neurosurgery: Findings on surgical risk stratification and reduced perioperative complications were recently published and received national attention (Sethi, 2014; Buchlak, 2016).
- Neurology: Novel treatments for multiple sclerosis (MS) are being studied (Kita, 2014; Viglietta, 2016). Learn about clinical trials and the Benaroya Research Institute MS Registry and Biorepository.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Dedicated to the use of physical activity for improvement of physical function (McGough, 2016), the team is evaluating predictive factors leading to the development of chronic back pain.
- Patient Safety: Findings on how to reduce hospital length of stay were recently published in partnership with Virginia Mason’s Center for Health Care Improvement Science (Bradywood, 2016).
Research activity at the Neuroscience Institute is bolstered by partnerships and collaboration:
- Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason is the Northwest’s leader in offering clinical studies to patients. See current clinical trials enrolling at Virginia Mason’s MS Center.
- Surgical Care and Outcomes Assessment Program (SCOAP) provides crucial information about the quality of care and areas for improvement in neurosurgery. Data analysis and research take place in collaboration with the Comparative Effectiveness Research Translation Network (CERTAIN) team.
Education engages patients as well as Neuroscience Institute professionals in relevant, stimulating learning. We learn and teach new understandings of care with experts onsite and with audiences around the world.
- Explore the Neuroscience Institute Visiting Scholar Program
- Learn about advances in neurological disease at the annual T. Evans Wyckoff Lecture in Neuroscience
- Join us for Visiting Lectures in Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Learn about the Complex Spine/Virginia Mason Production System Fellowship
- Attend Grand Rounds focusing on neuroscience topics