Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) from the Laboratory and Pathology Department.
- How do I request a copy of my lab results?
- Has my provider put an order in for me?
- Is fasting required for my test?
- Are there medications that affect blood draws?
- How much will these tests cost?
- How will I be notified of my results?
- How will my provider get the results?
- How long will it take before my results are available?
- Can you send a copy of my results to a different provider?
- What are the laboratory hours?
- Do I need an appointment to come to the laboratory?
- Where should I park?
- Where is the laboratory located?
1. How do I request a copy of my lab results?
You can request lab results through your provider's office. You can also view lab results on MyVirginiaMason. Learn more.
4. Are there medications that affect blood draws?
Some medications can affect test results; ask your doctor if there are any medications that may interfere with the tests that they are ordering. In addition, certain medications are monitored using a laboratory test, and these tests need to be drawn at certain times.
7. How will my provider get the results?
If your provider is part of Virginia Mason, the results will be available in your electronic medical record and a paper copy will be sent to them. For non-Virginia Mason providers, results will be faxed and mailed to them.
8. How long will it take before my results are available?
Some tests will be available to your provider within one hour and some tests require seven to 10 days to perform. Most providers' offices request that you contact them if you have not received the results as expected.
9. Can you send a copy of my results to a different provider?
If you would like an additional copy of your results sent to a different provider please include the provider's name, organization, fax and phone number to the receptionist at the time of checking in at the lab or call (206) 223-6701.
10. What are the laboratory hours?
For patient blood draws and clinic hours see specific location information.
11. Do I need an appointment to come to the laboratory?
No appointment is needed for the laboratory. All the clinic lab locations are walk in. For clinic hours see specific location pages.
12. Where should I park?
Parking arrangements vary by location.
13. Where is the laboratory located?
Find laboratory location information.
- How do I request a copy of the results?
- What are the hours of the laboratory?
- How do I order blood work for a patient coming to the Virginia Mason Laboratory?
- As an outside provider, how will I be sent the results?
- How do I add a test on to previous lab order?
- How do I cancel a test that has already been resulted?
- How do I interpret these results?
- What is the reference range for this test?
- Does the laboratory run the test in house or send it out?
- What if a test I want needs a special kit?
2. What are the hours of the laboratory?
The Downtown Virginia Mason Laboratory is open 24 hours and can be contacted at anytime at (206) 223-6701. For patient blood draws and clinic hours see specific location pages.
3. How do I order blood work for a patient coming to the Virginia Mason Laboratory?
You can fill out a Virginia Mason Laboratory Request form and send it with the patient. Please contact downtown laboratory at (206) 223-6701 if you need to fax the order to us so it does not get lost. The Downtown fax number is (206) 223-7540.
4. As an outside provider, how will I be sent the results?
All referring providers will be sent results through the US MAIL once the testing is complete. You can request results to be faxed by writing it on the order form.
6. How do I cancel a test that has already been resulted?
Please contact (206) 223-6701 with the patient information and tests that need to be canceled. The downtown lab will credit the patient for the canceled test. Please let us know the cancellation reason when you call.
8. What is the reference range for this test?
Call the downtown main laboratory number at (206) 223-6701 and we will direct you to the correct testing department where they can answer your question. If you have the report, the reference range should also be listed with the result.
9. Does the laboratory run the test in house or send it out?
Virginia Mason's neighborhood clinics run a small number of tests in house. For questions if a test is run at the main downtown laboratory or sent out to a reference lab, please contact (206) 223-6701.
10. What if a test I want needs a special kit?
The Virginia Mason laboratories are happy to try to accommodate all needs. If you are sending the kit with the patient, please include instructions, a contact number, and the name of a person to contact for any questions we may have. If you would like the lab to provide the kit or will send it directly to the laboratory, please contact the laboratory at (206) 223-6701 to make arrangements.