Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Gastroenterology and Hepatology are integral parts of the Digestive Disease Institute at Virginia Mason. Our gastroenterologists and hepatologists are recognized internationally for treatment of diseases and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract and liver. Patients come from all over the world for treatment at Virginia Mason.
- Healthgrades Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™ for Nine Years in a Row (2010-2018)
- Top Five Percent in the Nation for Overall GI Services for Seven Years in a Row (2012-2018)
- Top Five Percent in the Nation for GI Medical Treatment for Nine Years in a Row (2010-2018)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of GI Bleed for Nine Years in a Row (2010-2018)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Bowel Obstruction for 13 Years in a Row (2006-2018)
- Virginia Mason is the ONLY hospital in the State of Washington to be named by Healthgrades as America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care for Seven consecutive years (2012-2018)
Gastrointestinal (GI) and Hepatology Services and Programs
At Virginia Mason, our providers use novel endoscopic techniques and therapies for diagnosing and treating difficult GI disorders, including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Barrett's esophagus, acute pancreatitis, and inflammatory bowel disease. These advances, along with our participation in national clinical trials, give our patients a broad range of treatment options.
Colon and Intestinal Disorders
Disorders of the colon and intestines are quite common and include colitis and chronic ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, constipation, diarrhea, colon and rectal polyps and colon cancer. Learn more.
- Endoscopic Procedures
Virginia Mason is recognized nationally and internationally for endoscopic treatment of gastroesophageal, hepatic and pancreaticobiliary disorders. Learn more.
- Esophageal Disorders
Virginia Mason is an internationally recognized center for the diagnosis and treatment of esophageal disorders, including achalasia, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Barrett's esophagus, eosinophilic esophagitis, esophageal cancer, hiatal hernias, paraesophageal hernias and swallowing and motility disorders. Learn more.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Several promising therapies are offering hope to patients with chronic ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, the most common forms of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Learn more.
- Liver Disorders
Virginia Mason's hepatologists and gastroenterologists are dedicated to progressive and innovative management of liver disorders, including hepatitis B and C, liver cancer, hemochromatosis, primary biliary cirrhosis and sclerosing cholangitis. Learn more.
- Pancreatic Disorders
Virginia Mason gastroenterologists have achieved national and international acclaim for treatment of pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer. Learn more.