All of us can think of someone who helped or encouraged us along the way with a simple act of kindness, never to be forgotten. Have you ever stopped to think that you weren't the only one who benefited? The person who gave so willingly also received a very special reward. It was your gratitude, and often that is enough. For that is the essence of volunteering.
Since 1920 we have been dedicated to providing the finest patient care possible by working together in a team environment. Virginia Mason is in pursuit of the perfect patient experience and we feel it is achieved when patients experience high quality, appropriate care combined with extraordinary service. Our volunteers play a significant role in that process and your time with us will also provide you the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
Once volunteers are assigned to a department they receive a general hospital orientation and at least 15 hours of supervised training. Some department roles will require additional training and a more significant time commitment than others.
What you gain is immeasurable
Few people ever get the chance to be a Rhodes scholar, perform at Carnegie Hall or play in the World Series. For a few hours a week, you can be part of a world-class team - regardless of your age or education.
Throughout its 90-year history, volunteers have been an important part of Virginia Mason. They come for many reasons, from all walks of life, but they all have something in common: By helping others, they gain something in return.
As a volunteer at Virginia Mason, you can learn while you serve, with a chance to expand your horizons and grow as a person, while working with some of the best and brightest medical professionals in the country.
But most of all, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference. To reach out and touch the lives of others. To find beauty in acts of kindness.
Never stop learning — volunteer
It is often said that helping others is its own reward. While that is true, there are also many additional benefits and opportunities for volunteers of all ages. Here are just a few:
- Make new friends and participate in educational and social activities throughout the year.
- Work alongside health care professionals as important members of the Virginia Mason team.
- Gain a greater perspective on life and enhance your sense of well-being.
- Earn service credits for school, build a résumé and get a headstart on your future.
- Learn about different health care positions and employment opportunities.
- Develop new skills, broaden your talents and gain real-life experience.
- Make the most of your time by giving something back to the community.
Opportunities for You
We try to place volunteers in areas consistent with their skills and interests. There are many opportunities to choose from, including:
- Patient Services—enhancing patient stays on the nursing units by delivering mail or flowers.
- Clerical services—putting your office and organizational skills to work in the administrative and clinical offices. Opportunities may include use of business machines and computers, calling patients with appointment reminders, mailing announcements, data entry and other clerical tasks.
- Family Services—working with the public at information desks or as a concierge, providing comfort, support and information to patients and families.
- Gift Shop—providing customer assistance to patients, families and staff. Responsibilities include operating a cash register and stocking supplies. Proceeds from gift shop sales benefit Virginia Mason's Surgical Services.
- Satellite Services—assisting in regional clinics requesting volunteers by providing support for a variety of departments. Opportunities include greeting and information desks, office and clerical work, and occupational and physical therapy departments.
- Special Projects—offering on-call assistance with a wide variety of projects
- Join the Patient Family Partner Program. Learn more »
Are you ready to get started?
Join the volunteer team. Access our online volunteer application/forms.