Am I A Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
Your decision to undergo weight loss surgery should not be taken lightly. We balance the potential benefits you will have with surgery and weigh them against the risks of surgery. We take into account your age and overall health as well as your understanding and commitment to the postoperative regimen.
We consider the following patients as possible candidates for surgery:
- BMI greater than 35 kg/m2 with co-morbidities such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, obstructive sleep apnea.
- BMI greater than 40 kg/m2 with or without comorbidities.
- Age between 20 and 70
- Long-standing obesity with previous efforts at weight loss through using medical supervision
- Recommendation from your primary physician for operative treatment
- Absence of serious medical issues that would make surgery too dangerous
To calculate your BMI, please use our BMI Calculator.