About Prostate Cancer
One out of every 10 American men will develop prostate cancer. That’s why Virginia Mason is dedicated to providing advanced prostate cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment.
What is Prostate Cancer?
Prostate cancer develops when changes (mutations) happen in the prostate, causing cells to abnormally multiply. More than 75 percent of cases are diagnosed in men over age 65.
Although scientists don’t know exactly what causes prostate cancer, the following risk factors may play a significant role:
- A diet high in animal fats
- Moderate to heavy alcohol intake (22 to 56 drinks a week)
- Exposure to certain metals and chemicals such as cadmium, dimethylformamide and acrylonitrite, may be risk factors
Signs and Symptoms of Prostate Cancer
In its early stages, prostate cancer shows few symptoms. As it progresses, symptoms include:
- A need to urinate frequently
- Urinary obstruction
- A weak flow of urine
- Painful or burning urination
- Painful ejaculation
- Blood in urine or semen
- Frequent pain or stiffness in the lower back, hips or extremities
To learn more about prostate cancer care at Virginia Mason or to make an appointment, please call (206) 583-2282.