Recognized for Quality
Virginia Mason has received numerous awards and much recognition for our efforts to improve patient safety and quality of care. Below are recent highlights.
- Virginia Mason received the America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award from Healthgrades, a leading online consumer resource for comprehensive information about hospitals and physicians.
- Virginia Mason received the 2017 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ from Healthgrades, an online resource for comprehensive information about hospitals and physicians across the United States.
- For the 11th consecutive year, The Leapfrog Group named Virginia Mason a Top Hospital based on its evaluation of quality and safety at medical centers across the nation.
- Virginia Mason has been named one of the 50 Greenest Hospitals in America for the third time since 2013 by Becker’s Hospital Review, a national health care publication.
- Virginia Mason received the 2016 Washington Award of Excellence in Healthcare Quality for its work in improving care for patients hospitalized for heart attack, also known as myocardial infarction.
- Virginia Mason Earns ‘A’ for Patient Safety in National Hospital Safety Score Program. The safety grades are updated by Leapfrog twice a year, and Virginia Mason has received an “A” all nine times since the program began in 2012. Virginia Mason is the only Seattle hospital to accomplish this.
- Virginia Mason receives the Institutional Leadership in Quality Award from the American College of Medical Quality.
- Virginia Mason receives the 2016 Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades, becoming the only medical center in Seattle and the Puget Sound area to earn the recognition for four consecutive years.
- Virginia Mason receives the 2016 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ from Healthgrades, making this the third consecutive year it has earned this recognition for clinical quality.
- Virginia Mason receives the 2016 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ from Healthgrades. It is the only hospital in Washington state to receive the award six consecutive years (2011-2016).
- Virginia Mason was named a recipient of the 2015 Health Care Climate Champion Award by Global Green and Healthy Hospitals for its energy efficiency and leadership in climate protection and preservation.
- For the 10th consecutive year, The Leapfrog Group named Virginia Mason one of the Top Hospitals in the United States.
- Virginia Mason earned an ‘A’ for patient safety in The Leapfrog Group's National Hospital Safety Score Program.
- Virginia Mason is recognized by Healthgrades as America’s 100 Best™ hospitals for gastrointestinal care, general surgery and critical care.
- Virginia Mason CEO writes JAMA article about need to reduce patients’ wait times.
- Virginia Mason is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best hospitals in the adult specialties of orthopedics, nephrology and gastroenterology/ gastrointestinal surgery.
- England selects Virginia Mason Institute to improve patient safety, control health care costs.
- Puget Sound High Value Network will be a health plan option for state employees starting in 2016.
- Virginia Mason is recognized by U.S. News for hip, knee Replacement.
- Virginia Mason receives a 2015 Washington Award of Excellence in Healthcare Quality for reducing the risk of potentially fatal blood clots in patients.
- Virginia Mason receives 2015 Washington Quality Award for improving patient safety.
- Virginia Mason has earned an “A” for patient safety in The Leapfrog Group’s Spring 2015 Hospital Safety Score. This marks the seventh consecutive time Virginia Mason has received the top grade since Leapfrog launched the program.
- Virginia Mason receives the Healthgrades 2015 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ for the second straight year. The distinction makes Virginia Mason one of the top 2 percent of more than 4,500 hospitals nationwide for its consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance as measured by Healthgrades.
- Virginia Mason is honored for clinical excellence for fifth straight year by Healthgrades.
- Virginia Mason receives an "A" for patient safety score by The Leapfrog Group. This is the fifth time Virginia Mason has earned this rating since the program, a gold standard measure of patient safety, was launched in 2012.
- Virginia Mason earns America's 100 Best™ hospitals award for pulmonary, gastrointestinal, critical care and general surgery, as measured by Healthgrades.
- Virginia Mason is ranked as one of the best hospitals in Washington state for the fifth consecutive year by U.S. News & World Report, which has also designated it as a national high performer for cancer care; gastroenterology and gastrointestinal surgery; nephrology; orthopedics; and urology.
- Virginia Mason was today named a recipient of Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award for the second consecutive year. This distinction places it among the top 10 percent of hospitals in the nation for patient experience.
- Virginia Mason is included on the Becker’s Hospital Review list of the "100 Great Hospitals in America" for 2014. The industry publication today released its compilation of some of the most prominent, forward-thinking and focused health care facilities in the nation.
- The United Kingdom’s Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt delivered a major public policy speech at Virginia Mason on March 26, announcing new patient-safety initiatives for the National Health Service (NHS) of England. His proposals build upon lessons learned at Virginia Mason and its emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Virginia Mason named one of America's 100 Best™ hospitals, as measured by Healthgrades. With this designation, Virginia Mason ranks among the top 2 percent of U.S. hospitals in 2014.
- Virginia Mason received the 2014 Women's Choice Award, designating it as one of the nation's best hospitals for heart care.
- Virginia Mason received the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ for the fourth consecutive year from Healthgrades, an online resource for comprehensive information about U.S. physicians and hospitals.