Life After Graduation

Virginia Mason residents graduate to a variety of successful careers after training. Many decide to stay in the lovely Seattle area, while others opt to move to various locations around the country. Just over half of graduates decide to stay in Washington, and about 17 percent accept positions in either California or Oregon. However, more than a quarter of our graduates choose to move out of this part of the country, and over the past decade we have sent graduates to 21 different states and even one to a foreign country. Each graduating class is unique in their aspirations, but on average, about 40 percent have chosen careers in primary care, 40 percent have gone into hospital medicine, and 20 percent have pursued subspecialty training. Each resident graduates as exceptional clinicians, as evidenced by our ABIM pass rate of 97 percent, which places our program in the top 10 percent of U.S. internal medicine programs. In addition, given our institution’s passion for improving patient care, our graduating residents often find they are popular amongst potential employers for their knowledge of quality improvement, making the process of getting job offers easier, and ensuring our graduates enter into jobs that are a great fit for them. 

Fellowship

The small size of our program allows each resident seeking a fellowship to have the personalized attention of the faculty within that subspecialty. In addition, our supportive core faculty and program director create opportunities for those matching in a fellowship to receive the training opportunities and support to be successful. For example, residents have pursued research projects and publications with the aid of the subspecialty faculty, and we have built tailored schedules to accommodate subspecialty continuity clinics. Over the past 10 years, we’ve matched 23 residents to fellowships of their choice. Our match rate for graduating residents going into fellowship is 100 percent, which is due not only to the high quality of residents coming into the program but also to the customized support they receive during residency.

Hospitalist

Many of our graduating seniors entering hospitalist medicine credit their wonderful experiences with our hospitalist faculty for engendering an interest in hospital-based general internal medicine. About 60 percent of those graduating to careers in hospital medicine stay in Washington state. The other 40 percent have chosen positions in other parts of the country. Due to our unique rounding system, our residents entering hospital medicine find themselves well prepared to act as efficient attendings right out of residency. We ensure that those who wish to be trained in inpatient procedures receive this training either during wards months or during a special procedure elective. For those interested in hospitalist medicine, Virginia Mason provides superior medical training and the skills needed to have a fulfilled career.

Primary Care

We are proud that about 40 percent of our residents choose a career in primary care. As our residents receive excellent primary care training as part of the primary care program and as part of an institution known for quality improvement, they are often sought after by both local clinics and health systems in other states. Many residents choose positions within Washington state, and more than 30 percent join practices across the United States. Residents are taught to practice primary care with a focus on evidence based practice, patient experience, and team care models, ensuring a fulfilling career in what is often seen as a challenging environment.