Digestive Disease Institute
Virginia Mason patients receive excellent digestive disease care from the experts within our Gastroenterology and Hepatology Department. These specialists are a core part of Virginia Mason's Digestive Disease Institute, led by Executive Director Richard Kozarek, MD. The Digestive Disease Institute is internationally known for bringing accomplished specialists together to create personalized, comprehensive treatment plans and optimize patient care through innovations in research, education, and a multidisciplinary approach to treatment of digestive and liver diseases.
Collaboratively, gastroenterologists, hepatologists, surgeons, radiologists, oncologists, endocrinologists and pathologists apply innovative, specialized techniques for diagnosing and treating even the most difficult cases. If you have questions or would like to schedule an appointment, call (206) 223-2319.
- Virginia Mason is certified as a National Pancreas Foundation Center
- The Digestive Disease Institute's Liver Center of Excellence is the first in the Pacific Northwest to offer the non-invasive FibroScan technology to evaluate disease stage in patients diagnosed with liver conditions.
- 5 things to know about the Digestive Disease Institute
Explore services offered through the Centers of Excellence at the Digestive Disease Institute:
- Bariatric Surgery Center
- Esophageal Center
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Liver Center
- Liver, Pancreatic and Biliary Surgical Center
- Nutrition Center
- Pancreatic Center
- Therapeutic Endoscopy Center
Learn more about our areas of emphasis in the Digestive Disease Institute, including:
- Research — Clinical trials and investigator-initiated research
- Education — Comprehensive medical education courses, fellowships and patient education
- Quality Improvement — Data analysis and conferences lead to the best treatment options
- Innovation — Exploring new therapies and technologies for treating patients
Digestive Disease Institute's Recent Recognition:
Healthgrades®, based on the annual Hospital Quality in America report, has announced top honors for the care of digestive disease at Virginia Mason:
- America's 100 Best Specialty Excellence Award for Overall Gastrointestinal Care
- Ranked No. 1 in the state and in the top 5 percent in the nation for gastrointestinal services and gastrointestinal medical treatment
- Treatment of bowel obstruction for the 11th year a row (2006-2016)
- Treatment of gastrointestinal (GI) bleed for the seventh year in a row (2010-2016)
- Esophageal/stomach and small intestine surgeries for the sixth year in a row (2011-2016)
- Colorectal surgeries (2016)
In addition to these awards, Virginia Mason received five-star ratings for: gastrointestinal medical treatment; gastrointestinal procedures and surgeries; treatment of gastrointestinal bleed; treatment of bowel obstruction; and treatment of pancreatitis.