Cancer Clinical Trials
With more than 150 clinical investigators conducting more than 450 studies, Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason (BRI) is at the cutting edge of autoimmune, cancer and other disease breakthroughs. New clinical research studies are always becoming available. These include:
- Interventional drug and device trials
- Chart reviews
- Observational studies
- Humanitarian, compassionate use and expanded access studies
Our highly trained staff enrolled more than 5,000 study participants last year and work to ensure the health and safety of all participants. Cancer research is a top priority of the Benaroya Research Institute. It has resulted in new treatment options for patients, new discoveries in basic science, and patient survival among the best in the nation.
Cancer Clinical Research at Virginia Mason
- Virginia Mason and BRI are one of the original Community Clinical Oncology Programs (CCOP), funded continuously by the NCI from 1983 to 2014
- In 2014, Virginia Mason and BRI, along with MultiCare Health System, were awarded one of 53 NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP) 5-year grants
- Developed one of the first Breast Cancer Detection Clinics and participated in the pivotal multicenter clinical trial validating tamoxifen as prevention therapy for women at high risk of breast cancer
- Through investigator-initiated protocol, became the first site in the Pacific Northwest to offer Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT) treatment for breast cancer patients
- Participated in the pivotal Provenge clinical trials, establishing the first cancer treatment vaccine for prostate cancer. The Virginia Mason Pancreatic Center of Excellence aims to achieve the finest outcomes in the world for pancreas disease patients using the latest advances in treatment, research, and a multidisciplinary team approach. Our research program offers vaccine studies, novel chemo and radiation therapy trials. We offer research treatment options to patients, from initial diagnosis through their third and fourth line treatments.
The following clinical trials are open for patients at this time. Whether focused on prevention, diagnosis, treatment or support, our goal is to offer our patients the best care to fight cancer.