Chairman and CEO Gary Kaplan, MD, FACP, FACMPE, FACPE
|Chairman and CEO Gary S. Kaplan, MD|
Gary S. Kaplan, MD, FACP, FACMPE, FACPE, has served as chairman and CEO of the Virginia Mason Health System in Seattle since 2000. He is also a practicing internal medicine physician at Virginia Mason.
Dr. Kaplan received a degree in medicine from the University of Michigan and is board certified in internal medicine. He completed his internal medicine residency at Virginia Mason and served as chief resident in 1980 and 1981. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP), the American College of Medical Practice Executives (FACMPE) and the American College of Physician Executives (FACPE). He is recognized as one of the most influential physician executives in health care.
Dr. Kaplan is chair of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement Board of Directors and chairman of the National Patient Safety Foundation Lucian Leape Institute.
He is a founding member of Health CEOs for Health Reform and has held leadership positions with numerous organizations, including the Medical Group Management Association and the Washington Healthcare Forum.
He has been honored nationally for his leadership. Recent awards and accolades include:
- In 2013, Dr. Kaplan was elected to membership in the Institute of Medicine, one of the highest honors in the fields of health and medicine, recognizing individuals who have demonstrated outstanding professional achievement and commitment to service.
- Modern Healthcare magazine ranked Dr. Kaplan No. 11 on its 2016 list of the 50 Most Influential Physician Executives in the U.S. He has been on this prestigious annual list 11 times.
- Modern Healthcare magazine ranked Dr. Kaplan No. 15 on its 2015 list of the 100 Most Influential People in Healthcare.
- Becker’s Hospital Review recognized Dr. Kaplan in 2013 as one of the 50 Experts Leading the Field of Patient Safety in the U.S.
- Dr. Kaplan received the John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Award for Individual Achievement in 2009 from the National Quality Forum and The Joint Commission for his contributions to improving patient safety and health care quality.
- Also in 2009, Dr. Kaplan received The Harry J. Harwick Lifetime Achievement Award from the Medical Group Management Association and the American College of Medical Practice Executives in recognition of his contributions to health care.
During Dr. Kaplan's tenure as chairman and CEO, Virginia Mason has received significant national and international praise for its efforts to transform health care, most notably as the leader in adapting the Toyota Production System for health care. Recent honors include:
- Virginia Mason received the 2016 Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades, becoming the only medical center in Seattle and the Puget Sound area to earn the recognition for four consecutive years.
- Virginia Mason received the 2016 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ from Healthgrades. This is the third consecutive year Virginia Mason has earned this recognition for clinical quality and it is the only hospital in Washington state to receive the award. Virginia Mason ranks among the top 2 percent of more than 4,500 hospitals evaluated nationwide for its consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance across a broad spectrum of care as measured by Healthgrades.
- Virginia Mason received the 2016 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ from Healthgrades, a leading online resource for information about physicians and hospitals in the United States. As an award recipient, Virginia Mason ranks among the top 5 percent of the more than 4,500 hospitals evaluated by Healthgrades. It is the only hospital in Washington state to receive the award six consecutive years (2011-2016).
- For the 10th consecutive year, The Leapfrog Group named Virginia Mason one of the Top Hospitals in the United States. Virginia Mason is the only hospital in Washington state to receive the 2015 Top Hospital award. Also, it is the only hospital in the nation named a Top Hospital every year since the recognition program began in 2006.
- Virginia Mason received the 2015 Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades for the third year in a row, for superior performance in providing a positive experience for patients during their hospital stays.
- Virginia Mason earned the 2013 Partners for Change with Distinction Award from Practice Greenhealth for its robust, comprehensive initiatives to protect the environment.
- Virginia Mason was named one of the “Most Wired” health systems in the nation in 2015 for the fourth consecutive year by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine, the publication of the American Hospital Association.
- Virginia Mason was included on U.S. News & World Report’s list of the Most Connected Hospitals of 2015-16. In all, only 159 of the more than 5,600 hospitals in the United States made the list.
- Virginia Mason was one of five hospitals to receive the 2011 American Hospital Association-McKesson Quest for Quality Prize®, presented annually to honor leadership and innovation in safety and quality improvement.