Chairman and CEO Gary Kaplan, MD, FACP, FACMPE, FACPE
Gary S. Kaplan, MD, FACP, FACMPE, FACPE, has served as chairman and CEO of the Virginia Mason Health System in Seattle since 2000. He is also a practicing internal medicine physician at Virginia Mason.
Dr. Kaplan received a degree in medicine from the University of Michigan and is board certified in internal medicine. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP), the American College of Medical Practice Executives (FACMPE) and the American College of Physician Executives (FACPE). He is recognized as one of the most influential physician executives in health care.
He is a founding member of Health CEOs for Health Reform and has held leadership positions with numerous organizations, including the National Patient Safety Foundation, the Medical Group Management Association, and the Washington Healthcare Forum.
Dr. Kaplan is chair of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement Board of Directors and former chair of the Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
He has been honored nationally for his leadership. Recent awards and accolades include:
- In 2013, Dr. Kaplan was elected to membership in the Institute of Medicine, one of the highest honors in the fields of health and medicine, recognizing individuals who have demonstrated outstanding professional achievement and commitment to service.
- Modern Physician and Modern Healthcare magazines rank Dr. Kaplan No. 3 on the 2014 list of the 50 Most Influential Physician Executives in the U.S. He has been on this prestigious annual list nine times.
- Becker’s Hospital Review recognized Dr. Kaplan in 2013 as one of the 50 Experts Leading the Field of Patient Safety in the U.S.
- Modern Healthcare magazine ranked Dr. Kaplan No. 36 on its 2014 list of the 100 Most Influential People in Healthcare.
- Dr. Kaplan received the John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Award for Individual Achievement in 2009 from the National Quality Forum and The Joint Commission for his contributions to improving patient safety and health care quality.
- Also in 2009, Dr. Kaplan received The Harry J. Harwick Lifetime Achievement Award from the Medical Group Management Association and the American College of Medical Practice Executives in recognition of his contributions to health care.
During Dr. Kaplan's tenure as chairman and CEO, Virginia Mason has received significant national and international praise for its efforts to transform health care, most notably as the leader in adapting the Toyota Production System for health care. Recent honors include:
- Virginia Mason was one of only two hospitals in the nation named Top Hospital of the Decade by The Leapfrog Group in 2010.
- Virginia Mason received the 2014 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ from Healthgrades for the fourth consecutive year, placing it among the top 5 percent of U.S. hospitals for clinical performance.
- Virginia Mason received the 2014 Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades for the second year in a row, for superior performance in providing a positive experience for patients during their hospital stays.
- Virginia Mason earned the 2013 Partners for Change with Distinction Award from Practice Greenhealth for its robust, comprehensive initiatives to protect the environment.
- Virginia Mason was named a 2013 Top Hospital by The Leapfrog Group for the eighth consecutive year.
- Virginia Mason was declared one of the Most Wired health systems in the nation in 2013 by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine, published by the American Hospital Association. The Most Wired program recognizes organizations that leverage information technology to improve quality and efficiency, improve patient safety, and protect patient information.
- Virginia Mason was one of five hospitals to receive the 2011 American Hospital Association-McKesson Quest for Quality Prize®, presented annually to honor leadership and innovation in safety and quality improvement.