About Virginia Mason
Established in 1920, Virginia Mason began as an 80-bed hospital with six physician offices. It was named after the daughters of James Tate Mason, MD, and John M. Blackford, MD, who co-founded the clinic with radiologist Maurice Dwyer, MD. The founders' vision was to provide a single place where patients could receive comprehensive medical care, a "one-stop shopping" place for virtually any medical problem or need. The adjacent photograph features the original staff of physician partners.
- Physicians - We're a large, multispecialty group practice of more than 470 physicians employed by the organization, offering both primary care and a full range of specialty care.
- Hospital - We operate an acute care hospital, licensed for 336 beds, which includes one of the region's busiest emergency departments.
- Clinics - We have a network of regional clinics, located throughout Western Washington.
- Research - Our scientists conduct research, mainly working on autoimmune diseases like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and AIDS, in the Benaroya Research Institute.
- AIDS Care - We provide care and management of Bailey-Boushay House, an AIDS care facility with 35 private rooms, and an active chronic care management program.
- Philanthropy - A fund-raising arm of the medical center, the Virginia Mason Foundation operates with the guidance of a community board.
- Transforming Health Care - The Virginia Mason Institute provides education and training in the Virginia Mason management method — known as the Virginia Mason Production System (VMPS) — to other organizations and health care providers.
- Affiliations - Virginia Mason works cooperatively with other health care organizations in the region and is affiliated with: